RemoteApp Icons missing

I ran into something strange when adding the Failover Cluster Manager tool to RemoteApp – the icon on both the RD web services site and RemoteApp and Desktop Connections did not show properly – here’s what I mean:


The above was taken from RemoteApp and Desktop connections – here’s what it looked like on the RD Web Services site:


As you can see, the Failover Cluster Manager app has the standard RDP connection icon. Something is clearly wrong with this – all other icons are showing correctly.

First troubleshooting step: Clear the icon cache on the RD Web Services – on the server, the icon cache is located at: C:\Windows\Web\RDWeb\pages\rdp All of the image files and RDP files in this directory can be safely deleted – when you re-open the RD Web Services site (or refresh it) it will reload all of the images and files in the cache folder. This did not work – the Failover icon was still the default RDP icon.

Second troubleshooting step: Remove then re-add the app in RemoteApp Manager. This led me to the solution – the first re-add did not work, however I noticed that the path (as on all other icons in RemoteApp) is a UNC path to the server hosting the app – for example \\rdserver\c$\Windows\… This got me thinking about permissions – I check all directory permissions – which were all correct. Then I ran RemoteApp explicitly as Administrator. When adding the app back, the path to the icon file became a local path – and upon refreshing the site, all icons showed correctly! As a side note, when running RemoteApp Manager as Administrator, you cannot change the user assignment on the app when first creating it.

I’m not sure if it was because of running RemoteApp Manager as Administrator explicitly or the path to the icon – which in this case is different from most others – C:\Windows\Cluster.


3 thoughts on “RemoteApp Icons missing”

  1. After reading your article I attempted to do quite a few different things to fix my RD Web page displaying the default RDP icons.

    Funny enough changing FROM the local path TO a UNC path is what fixed it!!! Thanks for at least making me think about UNC and local pathings.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.