I ran into an issue recently on my Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10 where the BitLocker PIN entry text was missing. I have BitLocker TPM+PIN enabled so at boot or wakeup from hibernation, I am prompted to enter a PIN to unlock the drive. The screen was still the same blue color but the problem was that all of the text was missing – it was a blank blue screen.
A workaround I found was to blindly enter the unlock PIN…but this is not optimal as I would have no idea if I typed it in wrong, etc. I also noticed with this workaround that the secure boot Dell logo was gone during boot and replaced with the stock Windows logo.
The following procedure should fix the issue:
- Boot into Windows using the above workaround
- Suspend BitLocker protection
- Open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator)
- Type the following: bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v
- Reboot the system
- The PIN prompt will likely not show on the first reboot
- Reboot again